“the audience will not remember the vast majority of what you say. But they will remember what they thought about what you said. And what they felt about what you said. So help them. Leave moments in your narrative for the audience’s reflection.”
The Art of the Pitch by Peter Coughter: Short Summary
The Art of the Pitch by Peter Coughter will teach you how to pitch your ideas and get the results you want. In the book, Coughter shares his vast experience of making pitches and as the founder of an award-winning agency. The Art of the Pitch is a must-read for anyone looking to enhance their presentation skills.
Everything is a Presentation
When presenting, we are giving ourselves to the audience. They receive the product of our thoughts, efforts, and personality.
Everything you do in life can be regarded as a presentation. Meeting your partner’s family is a presentation, chatting with your friends is a presentation and even day-to-day interactions with others is can be considered a presentation.
The quality of your idea doesn’t matter if you cannot convince the person on the other side of the table to feel the same way.
Characteristics of a great presentation:
- It’s a conversation. Be yourself and regard it as any other conversation in your life
- Be authentic. Audiences want authenticity. Thus, don’t fear making mistakes
- Tell stories. Great presenters tell stories. Make your stories fun, make them human, make them conversational
- Know your stuff. By knowing their stuff, great presenters are able to concentrate on the reason they are there — the audience
- Relax and be reasonable. When presenting don’t…